"The work being undertaken by the Council of Vedic Astrology is vital to the future of Vedic astrology in the West. Under the capable guidance of Dennis Flaherty and committee of experienced astrologers and leaders within the community, I am confident that the study of Vedic Astrology will flourish.
"Recent years have born witness to a remarkable renaissance of the ancient wisdom of India through Vedic sciences like Hatha Yoga and Ayurveda have become a part of mainstream culture. Truth may go in and out of fashion, but ultimately survives time and is intended for the benefit of all peoples regardless of distinction.
"Likewise, Vedic astrology has been slowly reaching the ears and hearts of the true seekers of knowledge across the globe. It is a spiritual study, and, as such requires that the aspirant approach the subject with reverence and discipline. For Jyotisha to survive intact, true to its ancient roots, all efforts must be made to insure that the Vedic practioner receives proper training and that he or she is imbued with an attitude of service such that they may go forth and use this knowledge for the benefit of others.
"Traditionally, in India this process was facilitated by the personal student/teacher relationship and was conducted in the context of a culture which reinforced and validated the study and values that it promoted. In the context of modern times such a relationship is often not possible. This makes it all the more critical that there be a governing body to oversee the dissemination of that knowledge and its practice.
"I am confident that the Council of Vedic Astrology is up to the task of supervising the training of qualified astrologers by establishing methods and standards of certification and the monitoring of the process by which the Vedic astrologer receives training. I am grateful to them for this important work in support of Vedic astrology which can do much to help alleviate suffering and promote happiness amongst all peoples of the world."
CVA Education and Certification
The CVA is dedicated to the education, training and certification of Vedic astrologers through our international community of teachers and practitioners since our founding in 1993. It provides the opportunity to study within our network of recognized teachers in over 12 different countries. We are an organization of teachers and practitioners, honoring a variety of schools but with no allegiance to any particular school, offering a broad spectrum of education through our diverse community. We have over 100 recognized international teachers who have been recognized with the CVA Jyotish Visharada, establishing proficiency in Vedic astrology, and the CVA Jyotish Kovid, establishing excellence in Vedic astrology. You can study with any of our recognized teachers and practitioners and receive full credit toward CVA certification. Please visit the CVA website to see a complete list of our recognized teachers and practitioners.
CVA Certification Exam Sponsorship
Please read the following sponsoring process in preparation for sitting for the CVA examinations of Jyotish Visharada and Jyotish Kovid. All exam applicants must be sponsored by a CVA recognized practitioner who is a current Professional member of the CVA who will verify the applicants completion of requirements. Please visit the CVA website for a list of CVA recognized practitioners. This means that you must first sign up with a CVA tutor to guide and verify your studies, regardless of your previous studies. For those who have studied with non-CVA verified tutors, you may be able to get these studies approved by your CVA tutor and by CVA but this will require their verification and acceptance.
Note that when working with an approved CVA tutor, your fee arrangments are directly with the tutor, except for membership and testing fees with CVA.
- Your CVA sponsor must hold at least the equivalent title of examination. Your CVA sponsor will present your satisfactory completion of the exam requirements to the CVA Certification Committee by contacting the CVA Provost/Exam Liaison in preparation for taking the exam. Please carefully read the CVA certification requirements for your level of examination to make sure with your CVA sponsor that you have successfully completed the required hours. Your CVA sponsor will present you with a study guide for your level of examination in preparation for the exam.
- We must receive an affidavit of successful completion of the exam requirements from your CVA sponsor, as well as documentation of exam fees; these must be received no later than 45 days before the exam.
- After examination, the CVA will award diplomas within 30 days. You must be a current Professional member of the CVA to have your teaching/tutoring hours accredited toward CVA certification, and to have your name, titles, and contact information listed on the CVA website.
Please address your questions and correspondence to:
CVA Provost/Exam Liaison, Sat Siri Khalsa
The Jyotish Visharada, proficiency in Vedic astrology, examines the applicant’s knowledge of the foundation principles of Vedic Astrology. Jyotish Visharada applicants need to complete the following 600 hours through CVA recognized teachers and practitioners in the following categories: Approved classes, courses, audio recordings and private mentoring sessions with CVA recognized practitioners. Please see the list of CVA approved Jyotish Visharada teachers and practitioners on the CVA website.
Accreditation of CVA Hours for Jyotish Visharada
Classes with approved teachers, including attendance of approved CVA symposiums, conferences and workshops. (1 hour of class = 1 credit hour). There is no limit to the number of hours in this category.
Please send a list of classes attended with hours to your CVA tutor/sponsor with hours. Please include a copy of the program guide of class schedules and note classes taken for credit towards your certification requirements.
A maximum of 200 hours can be accrued through CVA approved teachers correspondence courses. The approved correspondence courses are listed under the names of the various teachers on the CVA approved teachers and tutors page on the website. Upon receiving your certificate of completion, please send a copy to your CVA approved tutor/sponsor for credit towards your certification requirements.
A maximum of 200 hours can be accumulated through audio recordings with CVA recognized teachers and practitioners. Please send documentation of purchase of a list of recordings to your CVA tutor/sponsor for credit towards your certification requirements. (1 hour audio = 1 credit hour)
CVA Jyotish Visharada Examination Process
CVA Jyotish Visharada examination fee is $200. This fee must be paid 45 days prior to taking the examination. Mail checks to Council of Vedic Astrology, P.O. 84312, Seattle, Washington 98124-5612.
All documents must be received by the CVA certification liaison 45 days prior to taking the examination. Contact email@example.com 45 day prior to taking the exam.
Private tutorials with CVA approved teachers/practitioners. One hour of individual tutoring with homework given by the tutor = 10 credit hours. Cost of private tutorials may vary by tutor.
Each student must complete 10 written chart interpretations.
Analysis of 10 Charts = 100 hours
- Student examination of the chart along with a summary of interpretation and rationale; minimum of 10 charts with 10 different Lagnas.
- Chart analyses are to be typed, a minimum of 5-7 pages for each chart.
- Student should show ability to understand the foundational principles of Vedic chart interpretation.
- Student should demonstrate ability to assess major life issues, and answer questions based upon the Vedic chart.
- Student should send copies of the 10 chart interpretations to their CVA tutor.
The CVA Jyotish Visharada written examination is 3 to 4 hours long. Upon passing, the student will be granted a certificate of Jyotish Visharada from the Council of Vedic Astrology.
Jyotish Kovid CVA Certification Requirements
The Jyotish Kovid, excellence in Vedic astrology, examines the applicant’s knowledge of the advanced principles, and practice of Vedic astrology. “Jyotish Kovid applicants need to complete the following 600 credit hour through CVA recognized teachers and practitioners in the following categories: audio recordings and private sessions with CVA approved teachers in preparation to the CVA Kovid exam. Prerequisite Jyotish Visharada, CVA diploma. Please see the list of CVA approved Jyotish Kovid teachers and practitioners on the CVA website.
Accreditation of CVA Hours for Jyotish Kovid
400 credit hours from private tutorials, classes or CVA-approved audio recordings.
- Private tutorials with approved tutors with homework given. (l hour individual tutoring = 10 credit hours)
- Classes with approved tutors, including attendance of CVA-approved conferences and workshops (1 hour of class = 1 credit hour)
- Audio Recordings – Maximum of 200 credit hours listening to audio recordings from previous CVA approved teachers. (one hour audio = 1 credit hour)
200 Credit Hours from 10 Case Studies
- Ten sessions with clients. Over 5-7 pages of written chart interpretation required with ten clients. Send chart interpretations to your tutor for evaluation
- Five of the ten sessions must be recorded in an audio format and sent to your tutor for review and assessment
- Tutors are paid for their time to review your material. Tutors give feedback to assist your learning
CVA Jyotish Kovid Examination Process
Cost for CVA Jyotish Kovid examination if $300. This fee must be paid 45 days prior to taking the exam. Mail checks to Council of Vedic Astrology, P.O. 84312, Seattle, Washington 98124-5612.
All documents must be received the CVA Certification Liaison firstname.lastname@example.org 45 days prior to taking the examination.
Applicants must attend at least one CVA approved conference prior to sitting for examination.
CVA examinations are given online, and in person at CVA approved conferences.
The CVA Jyotish Kovid is a 3 to 4 hour examination. In addition to the written exam the applicant will conduct a live consultation with an unknown client. The 45 minute session will be observed by a panel of CVA recognized practitioners with a critique as part of the examination. Upon passing, the student will be granted a certificate of Jyotish Kovid from the Council of Vedic Astrology.